How Do USDOT Numbers Need to be Displayed?
The FMCSA has regulations that govern how USDOT numbers are to be displayed for commercial motor vehicles (CMVs). For the full text of the regulations, see Section 390.21 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
General Guidelines — All CMVs must display their USDOT number according to the following:
- Display the legal name or single trade name of the motor carrier as listed on Form MCSA-1, the URS online application, or the motor carrier identification report Form MCS-150.
- Display the identification number (USDOT number) issued by FMCSA to the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider, preceded by the letters “USDOT.”
- Use letters that contrast sharply in color against the background in which they are placed.
- Use letters that are legible, during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet while the vehicle is stationary.
- Be kept and maintained in a manner that maintains legibility.
- All this information is to be displayed on BOTH sides of the vehicle.